Berry Beet Super Fruit Salad
I CRAVE this salad often. I love the combination of salty feta mixed with sweet berries and earthy beets.
- 3 Large handfuls of kale salad mix like super green blends
- 1/2 cup strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup raspberries sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries sliced
- 1/2 - 1 whole clementine peeled and segments separated
- 1/2 cup beets steamed, peeled, and sliced (or you could buy the Love Beets brand beets in the produce area)
- 1 oz. feta cheese sliced in cubes
- 1 Tbsp. deshelled sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- For the dressing:
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- Prep beets ahead of time: Cut beet greens off. You can save them to add to smoothies, salads or for sauteing. Scrub beets very well. I use my Instant Pot to steam beets, but you can also steam them on your stove in a pot too. For instant pot: Place beets in basket. Pour 1 cup of water into the pot. Lock and seal the lid. Choose pressure cooker setting on high. Set time to 25 minutes. On the stove, place a steamer basket into a medium to large size pot. Place water in pot that covers 2 inches at the bottom. Place beets in the basket. Turn on medium heat. Cover with lid. This may take up to 45 minutes. Beets are done with they are fork tender. Check on beets often in case you need to add water to the bottom of your pot so you do not burn it. When beets are done, let them cool. Under running water, rub beets and the skins will easily fall off.
- To assemble the salad: Place greens on a plate. Arrange all ingredients, except dressing on top of greens as you choose.
- Drizzle salad dressing on top of the salad.
I've included single serving portion here, but you can easily assemble this salad into a large bowl for serving your family or a larger group. The dressing makes about 2-3 servings. You can double or triple it to cover a larger salad. To turn this into a complete meal, add your protein of choice such as beef, chicken, or fish.