Green Bean Casserole (GF, DF)
- 1 bag 12 oz. green beans (already trimmed)
- 1 package of white mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 lb. cauliflower head cut up in large pieces (you will end up pureeing these)
- 1/2 cup of Gluten-free crackers will be crushed up or Almond meal
- 1 tbsp truffle oil I used Wegman's brand
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ white onion sliced (for topping)
- ¼ cup minced white onion
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a pot, add 1 cup of water and place green beans on a steamer basket. Cover with lid. Steam green beans until done (~10-15 minutes). Set aside. Add more water to the bottom of the pan and repeat for cauliflower until done (~10-15 minute). Remove cauliflower carefully and place in high speed blender or food processor. Puree. Set aside.
For the topping:
- If using crackers, add to a blender and blend until they become crumble. Measure out 1/2 cup and place in bowl with 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- If using almond meal, add 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper to bowl with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Mix andset aside.
Put it together:
- In a large pan, add olive oil, and sliced mushrooms. Cook for about 12 minutes on medium until all liquid is gone. Reduce heat.
- Add minced onions and garlic, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add truffle oil.
- Add cauliflower puree and stir everything for about 3-4 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add green beans, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until all green beans are covered in puree.
- Pour green bean cauliflower mixture into a casserole dish and top with crushed crackers or almond meal.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- In the meantime, add sliced onions to a pan with about ¼ cup olive oil. Cook on medium high, stirring the onions and making them crispy. Make sure you’re stirring occasionally so they don’t burn.
- Once green beans are cooked, remove from oven and top with crispy onions
Inspired by: https://shop.wegmans.com/recipes/17