Italian Sausage Bowls
This is one of my family's go-to recipes when we are limited on time, but still aim to eat a healthy, balanced meal. Enjoy!
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 pound of Italian Sausage (nitrate-free preferred)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 4-6 cups of baby kale and spinach salad blend (or any greens really work here)
- 1/2 of a 12 ounce bag of frozen organic onion and bell peppers (or use slice up 1 small onion and 1 red bell pepper into strips.
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning blend (I use Simply Organic brand)
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- Fill a medium pot with 1 cup dry quinoa, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 2 cups of water. Bring to boil, then reduce to medium heat and put lid on pot. Simmer until water is absorbed (about 15-20 minutes). Careful not to burn the quinoa once the water is absorbed. [You can also cook your quinoa in the instant pot. Use 1 cup quinoa and 1 cup water. Cook on Pressure Cooking setting on high for 1 minute. Allow pressure to release on its own]
- Once quinoa is started, fill a medium pan with 1 inch of water. Add sausage and cook on medium heat. Cook for 10-12 minutes. Pork is done at 145F and chicken is done at 165F. Empty the water. Use fork and knife to slice sausage into rounds.
- Add olive oil to the pan. Add greens and onion/pepper mix. (If you are using fresh onions and peppers, add them first and cook until they are soft before adding the greens). Add Italian seasoning. Once colors of veggies are more vibrant, add the cut sausage to brown. Saute for 5 more minutes or until peppers and onions are cooked enough and greens are wilted enough to your liking.
- Combine cooked quinoa and sausage/veg mix together in a bowl. Enjoy.
Serves 4 people- about 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (provides 30g carbohydrate), 1 sausage, and plenty veggies. You can also top this with some avocado if you desire extra fat. A keto/low carb version of this is to substitute cauliflower rice for the quinoa instead.